- Pillars of Health
- At The Office
- Family Health
- Find A Chiropractor
- Spinal Awareness Week
Hearty Beef Stew
An easy and delicious beef stew. It can be made in advance and reheated for a crowd, or you can make the full batch and have wonderful leftovers for the weeknights.
3 Tolive oil
2 lbstewing beef (in big chunks)
1 pnsalt & pepper
2 Ttomato paste
1⁄2 cred wine
1⁄4 cred wine vinegar
4 cbeef stock
1rosemary (1 sprig)
1thyme (1 sprig)
1sage (1 sprig)
1. Finely chop the onion, carrot and celery. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the beef well with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides, about 5 – 6 minutes.
3. Add all the chopped vegetables and cook another 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook 1 minute more.
5. Add the wine and vinegar and reduce them slightly.
6. Add the water or stock, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper to taste, and the rosemary, thyme, sage and cinnamon. Bring everything to a boil, then simmer gently, partially covered, for an hour. If the stew appears dry, add some more water by the 1/2-cupful.
7. Keep simmering about 30 minutes more, until the beef is very tender and the liquid is saucy.
8. Remove the cinnamon sticks and ladle out bowls of stew. Drizzle with olive oil, then top with freshly grated orange zest and chopped parsley.